Re: [Melb] 27/4/2001 - Services disrupted on Belgrave Line

Mick Stock wrote:

> "news.foxall.com.au" wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know why buses were running between Ringword and Upper Ferntree
> > Gully this morning instead of trains?

A truck carrying some sort of chemical brought down the traffic lights
and boom gate at Scoresby Road, Bayswater.  As reported by another
posting, there was a small fire.  Therefore, no trains running between
Ringwood and Upper Ferntree Gully for safety reason (of course).

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Peter G.
>
> And why there were only 2 buses used to replace each train, even though
> 3 or more were needed.  There wasn't one single announcement at Ringwood
> as to what the hell was going on (at least around 9.30 this morning).
> There wasn't anything on the Connex web site either...

This has been discussed before in this newsgroup, but Connex or other
train and tram operators do not own any buses.  Therefore, they can only
rely on bus companies to supply them for replacement services.  As you
have mentioned "at least around 9.30 this morning", many buses will have
just finished their school runs and morning peak suburban services.
Therefore, it is very selfish to expect those bus companies to give us
many buses during the peak instead of doing their school chartered and
suburban services.  Since you also use bus services, how will you feel
if your bus has been diverted to do rail replacement services?
Afterall, the accident is not caused by Connex instead by a road user.

> This is getting typical for Connex these days. Trains running late
> almost every day this week (on Monday evening, 20-25 mins late, but as
> usual no explanation or apologies), more delays last night and tonight -
> thanks Connex, two nights in a row I've missed my connecting bus, with a
> 45 min wait for the next one, and STILL NO EXPLANATIONS!!!!

If you bother to read the Customer Service Charter, there is no
guarantee of connection between services by any operator.  Although I
cannot give the exact reason for late running on those nights you have
mentioned above, but usually when there is heavy rain, trains do run
late as customers just take that little longer to get on and off (eg.
opening and closing their umbrellas, etc.).