Re: [NSW]Short cuts

"Mr BGR" <bigguy147@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3ae918cb_1@news01.one.net.au...

> "Marvin The Martian" <choochoo@spin.net.au> wrote in message
> > I heard that the new train crewing boss Gail Gregory wants to crack down
> > on short cuts. For those that don't know it is where one person will
> > work another ones train so they can go home early. She also wants to
> > crack down on swaps (people swapping shifts) If she manages this she
> > will not be popular.
>
> That's a good thing to tell the world isn't it!!!??? Do you think you will
> get any sympathy from any non crew member on this group? After all, you
are
> being paid to do a job why be surprised when there is a crack down?

Just shows how little you know about the system.

If a crew member has an extended break at Central, and has to relieve a
driver who has to go around the City Circle, and that is the end of his
shift, why does it matter if the driver who has the extended break relieves
the drivier finishing at Central BEFORE going around the City Circle rather
than AFTER, thus giving the driver finishing an early mark of about 20
minutes? The train runs as rostered, everything is smooth, it all works the
way the customers expect.

> BTW, the
> rumour is rubbish but now you have told the world it well become true! In
> addition, there has never been a problem with swaps due to the nature of
> shiftwork and the effects on social/ family needs of workers.

There has been some problems, mainly due to minimum times between shifts and
the necessity to maintain road knowledge. For example, if a driver based at
Waterfall consistently swapped all shifts involving running to Richmond, to
the extent that his/her road knowledge was lost, then that would be an
operational difficulty.

But I agree that if the two shifts are in the normal area of operations for
a depot, and as long as minimum times between shifts are maintained, then
there should not be a problem.

Dave