Re: Vic Gov't to reopen passenger lines?

James C. <james_ccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3ae5e80c$0$25471$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3ae5e80c$0$25471$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> There are lots of area would interest tourists as well such as Coal creek.
> Apart from that the line is very scenic, I was concerning what should SGR
do
> after VLP starts running?
> Cheers
> James
I'm wondering though James,bearing in mind reports that have circulated
recently re the suspension of services between Korumburra and Leongatha.How
long would it be before SGR was not able to run trains at all.
Its now getting on quite a few years since the last cyclic maintenance gang
went through replacing any sleepers.
Its great having one of the longest tourist lines available,but you run into
the same problems that the original owners had.Upkeep costs.
I still believe that the line is a Victorian treasure,and anything that
keeps it going is good news,because once the rails are pulled up it will
probably become a rail trail.
In light of murmurs of "Standardisation" the importance of the Leongatha
line is even greater.
I don't think that it is too far fetched to believe that the line could
become the restoration hub of Victoria for preserved broad gauge steam and
diesel,where the combined resources of many groups and societies could focus
on maintaining Live mainline action,in an area not too far from Melbourne,
and in an established local and international tourist locality.