Re: Vic Gov't to reopen passenger lines?

<, given the comparatively small
> population and likely low speed due to South Gippsland's topography?

Not really, you should pay a visit to the area. Despite the lower population
I think Leogatha service have poptential.
Melbourne urban expand all the way to Tooradin area even as far as Nyora
(aka EMU Spring). There are substantial ridership to justify the service.
The highway is not really as good as elsewhere more been curvy with steep
grades.
There are lots of area would interest tourists as well such as Coal creek.
Apart from that the line is very scenic, I was concerning what should SGR do
after VLP starts running?

> The
> relative proximity of the region to Melbourne also negates the chances of
> freight traffic returning to Korumburra/Leongatha (even if sand trains
resume
> to Koala Siding, there would be a long section of line which would have to
> justify its existance on passenger services).

Freight Australia found freight potential earlier and wanted to reopen the
line but due to their dispute with open access they now wait till government
to reopen the line instead of themself.

Cheers
James