[Vic] previous government had no development plans for rail:

Bracks attacked for rail project delays
http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/04/24/FFX0N624VLC.html

By PAUL ROBINSON
WORKPLACE EDITOR
Tuesday 24 April 2001

The Victorian Trades Hall Council has accused the Bracks Government of
denying regional workers much-needed employment by delaying four big railway
projects until next year.

Acting THC secretary Brian Boyd said yesterday unions involved in the $1.5
billion project to upgrade rail links between Melbourne, Ballarat, Bendigo,
Geelong and Traralgon to accommodate fast trains had been advised it had
been delayed.

He said the project, due to have begun in October, would include a fast rail
link between Melbourne Airport and the city, which was on schedule. He said
building, road, train and bus unions had been preparing site agreements in
readiness for a start on the regional aspect of the project but "the
government has quietly let it out that there is going to be a delay".

"Now we don't think that's good enough at a time when there is a downturn in
the construction industry. We have suggested to them that they consider a
major project to extend Parliament House but they told us that their
priority was the rail infrastructure project. Now they tell us that has been
delayed as well.

"Regional workers are waiting for work and it seems they are missing out
again. City workers have benefited by Docklands and some recent big private
industry jobs but the country is crying out for work," he said.

But Transport Minister Peter Batchelor yesterday rejected Mr Boyd's delay
claims and said the government's infrastructure program was "on schedule"
and not dogged by an investment fund shortage in the business community.

He told Bendigo's community and business leaders that expressions of
interest in the rail plan would be called in May "and from that we will
short-list and go to tender later in the year or early next year. Once that
is done we will move into the construction phase. You can't move into the
construction phase until all the tendering work has been completed. I'm
surprised Brian's got the sequence back to front. Of all the people who are
involved in the process he should know".

Mr Batchelor was horrified when he found the previous government had no
development plans for rail: "We have had to keep this project moving as
quickly as we can but because of the shocking level of preparation that
hasn't been easy."

He said his department was planning a series of rail projects to enable
governments to select them when money became available. "By having a bank of
them with most of the development work done in advance you can move more
quickly into the construction phase."

Last December the government held talks with more than 100 of Australia's
top bankers, fund managers, engineers, lawyers and unionists to speed plans
for a fast rail network to regional Victoria. Businessmen were told the
government would invest up to $550 million in rail infrastructure to
accelerate a joint venture with private enterprise.

State Opposition major projects spokesman Robert Clark said the rail delay
was typical of delays in other projects under the Bracks Government.

--
Regards,
David Lindstrom