Re: Connex train splitting

    Fellow Travellers,
    Don't all of the refurb. Connex sets have Scharfenberg (? spelling)
auto. couplers, if this is so then there should be no need for anyone to be
on the ground when coupling or uncoupling is done as it all should be worked
from the cab, that was the point of fitting such couplers.

Regards,

bill.

"Keith Holley" <Mailman@netscape.net.au> wrote in message
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:10:26 +1000, Chris Brownbill
> <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Paul Hambleton wrote:
> >>
> >> A Connex customer service person who rang me to follow up a complaint I
made
> >> about cancelled Alamein trains told me that it was happening because of
> >> difficulties splitting trains at Flinders St. He said that if anything
went
> >> wrong which made it necessary for someone to climb down onto the
tracks, the
> >> split couldn't be done because of the lack of a flat surface to stand
on! It
> >> was a health and safety issue. He said that work would be carried out
at
> >> Flinders St. this weekend to solve this problem.
> >>
> >> Paul Hambleton
> >
> >Geez - no flat surface eh?  It wasn't that long ago in parts of this
country that hook couplings were in regular use - and coupling cars required
staff to stand between the buffers of carriages being shunted.  And I can
tell you that a flat surface was the last thing on anyone's mind then.