Re: "Due to defective trains at Flinders St"

"Stacy" <sjudin@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
3add919e@mercury.its.rmit.edu.au">news:3add919e@mercury.its.rmit.edu.au...
> Why is the reason: "Due to a defective train at Flinders St" used SO often
> when explaining late/cancelled trains??? I understand a defective train
> may finish its run at Flinders St and then be taken away to a yard, but
> surely the driver would radio a defect to Metrol as soon as it became
> known, giving control enough time to organise a replacement train so that
> there would be no need for a delay/cancellation of a planned service for
> that train later???

There are a range of different fault classifications, depending on the
seriousness of the fault:

-7 day fault: This my be interior graffiti (such as tagging) or a minorly
slashed seat. This fault must be repaired within 7 days
-2 peak fault: This may be something like a missing door window (when a
temporary window inserted) or a broken tail marker light. This train can run
no more than 2 peaks (1 full weekday) without repairs.
-1 peak fault: This is for things like severe graffiti or badly slashed
seats. This train can run no more than 2 peaks (1 half weekday) without
repairs.
- Finish run fault: This is the one that stuffs up the trains at Flinders
Street the most. This is for Extreme graffiti, a problem with the trailing
driver's cab, defective motors etc. This train is able to finish it's
current revenue run, but must not start any more after this, until repairs
have been made.
- Critical Fault: This is for things such as faulty doors, smashed saloon
windows, Aircon failure on Comeng (due to no other ventilation) etc. This
train must not carry passengers beyond the next platform and must run empty
cars to a Maintenance depot immediately (if possible). All expired faults
become critical.

Most of the faults at Flinders Street are either 'finish run' or 'critical'.
Some of these faults are not discovered until the train arrives at Flinders
Street (as the incoming driver is required to inspect his train before he
takes it). If they are discovered 'en route', sometimes (especially during
the peak) a replacement train may not be available, forcing the cancellation
of the service.

Sometimes you may encounter a delay arising from a "Defective Train at
Finders Street". This can be waiting for a replacement train (if available)
or they may be able to temporarily rectify the fault (e.g.. putting door
window inserts in, or an electrical fitter may be able to replace a certain
part).

Needless to say, both operators definitely DO NOT want to cancel a service,
especially during the peak. It costs them money and makes them look bad. It
also causes disruption later, as trains are out of position (e.g.. if you
cancel a service that forms an empty train to Macleod, Macleod will be short
of 1 train and a replacement will have to be found).

Sam