Re: The Fish and Chips

"Bob Horgan" <rhorgan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
3ADF7DF6.28D9F1B8@hotmail.com">news:3ADF7DF6.28D9F1B8@hotmail.com...
> Can somenone tell me where this name originated from??

The original driver of the main Sydney to Mt. Victoria commuter train was
John Herron and he was known as the "Big Fish" - the train he drove hence
got the nickname "The Fish" (don't ask me why, since a heron is a bird -
perhaps they thought his name was Herring.)

When a second train was put on, to service Sydney to Springwood, it acquired
a nickname of "The Chips" (Fish and Chips). This train was later extended
further up the mountains.

After a while, these names became official and the trains even carried
headboards with these names on them.

there was a train known as "The Heron" from Emu Plains to the City, but
since Emu Plains has become just another Sydney suburb, it has fallen into
disuse, and no longer appears in the timetable.

Dave