Re: The Fish and Chips

Dave Proctor wrote:

> "Bob Horgan" <rhorgan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 3ADF7DF6.28D9F1B8@hotmail.com">news:3ADF7DF6.28D9F1B8@hotmail.com...
> > Can somenone tell me where this name originated from??
>
> The original driver of the main Sydney to Mt. Victoria commuter train was
> John Herron and he was known as the "Big Fish" - the train he drove hence
> got the nickname "The Fish" (don't ask me why, since a heron is a bird -
> perhaps they thought his name was Herring.)

The name was applied to the Sydney to Penrith evening business train
from about 1865. The regular driver was John Heron in charge of
locomotive No.15 into the 1880s. The Fish was progressively extended as
the line was extended, and the name is still applied today. There aren't
many trains anywhere in the world which have retained the same name for
over 130 years.

The name The Chips was the unofficial name of the next train after The
Fish, which didn't quite work as far. By the time the name became
official (1930s?), The Fish ran to Mt Victoria and The Chips ran to
Springwood. These days The Fish runs to Lithgow and The Chips runs to Mt
Victoria.

The Heron was named after John Heron. It was traditionally the 8 stop
limited express to Penrith, and now runs to Springwood.

For those interested, there is a photo of John Heron on the footplate of
No. 15 at http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/steam/15.jpg

Cheers
David