Re: East Coast Very High Speed Train Scoping Study

"tony bailey" <mercuryworldtvl@one.net.au> wrote in message
3ade204c_4@news01.one.net.au">news:3ade204c_4@news01.one.net.au...
> "James C." <james_ccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3add3a0a$0$25512$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3add3a0a$0$25512$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> > Sydney and Melbourne route might be the 3rd businest route in the world
> but
> > with all those cut price discount airlines would VHST survive
competition?

> Try looking at London-Paris to see what high speed rail can achieve -
about
> 60% of the total market or thereabouts.

The remaining 40% is mostly transfers, e.g. NYC-LON-PAR (I know, they aren't
the codes) where an airport transfer is more attractive than going into town
to get the train.

And that 60% will grow when the English finally get around to opening their
part of the high speed line (believe it or not, EuroStar runs on 750V DC
third rail in England).

Dave