Re: [MELB] Trams with poles [ was Trams Stops in Balcava x 12

David McLoughlin wrote:

> Daniel Bowen wrote:
> >
> > "McAndy B(tm) with cheese" <laurelb@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
>
> > > Why have 2 poles on a tram? :)  Obviously there is some reason, otherwise
> > > they'd just use the same one, and turn as necessary :)
> >
> > Smaller trams do (eg HTT no. 8).
> >
> > I presume there's some benefit to having two - perhaps it being near the
> > back of the tram is an advantage. Or having two in case one breaks, of
> > course!
>
> Generally, double-ended bogie trams have had a pole at each end wherever
> in the world they have operated, while single-ended bogie trams like the
> American PCCs have had a single pole.
>
> Exceptions include San Francisco's PCCs which while single ended, have a
> pole at the front to which is raised for reversing the tram in depots
> etc from a small controller at the back.  Some Wellington drop-centre
> bogie cars had only one pole, on a tower in the middle. It swivelled
> through 360 deg.
>
> Most single truck trams with poles tended to have just one pole whether
> they were double-ended or single-ended.
>
> Hong Kong's double deck trams are single truckers and have a single
> pole, in the middle. Theoretically they can go backwards, but there are
> loops at all terminuses.
>
> Calcutta's articulated trams have a single pole, but they are single
> ended and turn at loops.
>
> All Melbourne's tram lines are now fitted for pan operation and all
> trams except the remaining Ws use pans in service exclusively (though
> the Zs still retain one pole for emergencies)

++++++++The  spare pole has now been taken off. This was done 		After a
z class burnt to the ground at West Marybynong terminus about 2 years
ago. It was found that the pole, which electricaly is conected to the
pantograph shorted out to earth when the driver changed ends, the tram
literaly expolded and burnt completly in about 2 minutes. Ever since all
spare poles have been removed on both Yarra and Swanston trams
. Pole trams can however