Re: Overland survive strategy?

One way to considerably reduce Overland travel times (though not by the
amount you are talking about) would be to build the Melbourne-Ballarat fast
train link in standard gauge and reopen the Ballarat-Ararat line in upgraded
standard gauge as well. The knock on benefits of this particular conversion
are considerable and I think the Victorian Government is nuts if it commits
a large amount of public money to rail upgrades but does them in BG instead
of SG. The ultimate aim of ALL rail upgrade expenditure should be nothing
less than the complete conversion of the Victorian railway network to SG.
Paul Hambleton

"Peter Berrett" <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
JRgB6.46830$Xx3.260864@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au">news:JRgB6.46830$Xx3.260864@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au...
> Travel times to/from Adelaidce need to be reduced further. The cut in
train
> times has been welcome but I believe that a 4-5 hour service would make
the
> service considerably more attractive, especially to football fans.
>
> How much upgrading of track would be needed to achieve this I know not
> however I dont think we are talking VFT speeds here.
>
> cheers Peter
>

> James C. <james_ccj@optusnetdotcomdotau> wrote in message
> > Overland can survive if some new strategy injecting to this service:
> >
> > *Fare adjust to competitive level.
> >

> > *Upgrade the train to a truely luxury train,
> >
> > GSR can do this with almost no cost, from 1st Apr all the first class
> Indian
> > Pacific and Ghan lounge cars will lost their name and Overland can use
any
> > of the IP/Ghan lounge to uplift its image. Currently there are 4 IP
> > desinated lounges, 2 Ghan desinated lounges, 1 rarely used conference
> > car(fit with black leather couch in lounge car setting) and 2 luxury
> > "Bluebirds engineer"'s lounges ocassionally appear in the consist.(
BR102
http://www.railpage.org.au/comrails/sar_carriages/b_bluebird_100.html
> > and BMC1 ).
> >
> > The sitters and sleepers already been refurbished and shouldn't need
> anymore
> > upgrade(perphas enhance entertainment range)
> >

> > *Joint operation with local tourist operators and accomadation package
> offer
> > to passengers.
> > (also, how about free metcard for everyone? hence easier for passengers
> > travel to and from SSS)
> >

> > *Cooperate with airlines as a joint package experience.
> >
> > If you can't beat them, join them ! but inorder to attract passengers
and
> > make them feel this package is worthy, the train itself has to improve
> > luxury.
> >

> > *Modify timetable
> >
> > either run twice daily (day and night XPT style timetable) or continue
> with
> > current schedule but extend once weekly to Sydney via Melbourne.
> >
> > #Twice daily would improve flexibility when it comes to cooperation with
> > airlines and for passengers choice. Night service no doubt save time and
> > accomadation for travellers.  Daylight service can be as succesful as
many
> > SA and western Victorian towns are not properly serve by public
> transports.
> > Twice daily service however maybe costly.
> >
> > #Keep current schedule and addition a Sydney service on Tuesday:
> >                    Tuesday
> > Adelaide        900
> > Melbourne   1940
> >                     2010