Re: XPT's Reduced

Considering electric traction predominantly replaced steam traction across the
Mountains I doubt any rational analysis would find that electrification was
foolhardy.  The improvements in load per train, train speed, operational cost
and passenger comfort were all quantum leap.

As for the intervening years I can't imagine that any DMU would have been
anywhere near as quick, quiet or comfortable as EMUs between Emu Plains and
Katoomba.  The thought of diesel traction home each work day gives me the
shivers!

Bring on 25kV AC though for the Intercity runs.

Chris

hVUA6.954$482.4740@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:hVUA6.954$482.4740@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...