Re: [NSW] Driver shortage?

----------
In article <3AD3DEF0.EC25D520@spin.net.au>, Marvin The Martian
<choochoo@spin.net.au> wrote:

>Hope they do a better job of choosing drivers than when they choose some of
>the guards before the Olympics.
>
>Anita Lukaszyk wrote:
>
>> Marvin The Martian wrote:
>> >
>> > They recently advertised for guards to become drivers, the wanted around
>> > 120 and only got 14 applications and only 3 of them were from guards you
>> > have had the required 3 years. I assume that the guys coming from
>> > freight corp will not fill the numbers so where will they get them from?
>> > Someone I talked to suggested off the street God forbid I hope not.

I suspect they probably had more problems taking from the guards  than from
the street, it would have been a very limited selection of people in the
guards grades to choose from, when picking from 'the street' you have a much
larger range to select from, even after weeding out the real dills. What is
this alleged talent that you get from being on the inside that an outsider
can't pick up, after all, you don't see too many nice things said about
guards by drivers anyway.
A well run training course should be able to bring any of these people up to
scratch if they have the right aptitude to start with, it works in other
states.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne