Re: Remove City Loop trains from Burnley group lines

"Eddie Oliver" <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
3AD01486.B3D7E80D@efs.mq.edu.au">news:3AD01486.B3D7E80D@efs.mq.edu.au...
> Granted that we have so often established on this newsgroup that
> Melbourne is different from the rest of Australia (and the rest of the
> world) about matters such as validating tickets, could we please now
> also establish
>
> (a) whether there is anywhere else in the world where the direction of
> travel around a city loop changes in the middle of the day like it does
> in Melbourne, and
>
> (b) given that it has never been necessary in Sydney to change the
> direction of running on the City Circle in the middle of the day, why
> did Melbourne take such an innovative (?) action?
>
> I look forward to understanding more about the unique characteristics of
> the Melbourne system and/or the people who designed and use it.

The intention was to encourage people to use the new underground stations
instead of Flinders Street. This means that for the bulk of trains in peak
hour the trip from the suburbs to the underground stations (and vice versa)
is quicker. That's about all there is to it.

The strategy seems to have worked. Whether or not it needs changing in
favour of a more simple running pattern is the subject of some debate! There
are pros and cons on both sides.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia