Re: [NSW]CCTV Spying on staff

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:43:33 +1000, Marvin The Martian
<choochoo@spin.net.au> wrote:

>A driver recently got a bung (A please explain) for crossing the tracks
>without a vest. He was caught on a CCTV camera. By law it is required
>that employees be warned that they could be caught by a camera. The
>person who issued the bung said that there was a sign at the passenger
>entrance was good enough but as the staff use a diffenent entry this
>still isn't legal. Of course we were all told this would not happen.

It is not necessary to use CCTV to catch drivers and others crossing
tracks without safety vests. They just send someone out to stand
around and they'll see it. This already happens with station staff,
who regularly are watched to ensure they enforce CityRail's rules as
regards the wide gates.

The problem mgmt have is that train crew are rather more organised and
powerful than station staff and may not take kindly to this sort of
thing. They may not be able to give a 72 hour notice over their own
breaches of safety rules, but they can stop trains from running in
other ways, like failing trains over the slightest defect. It has been
done before.

paul x is the spam filter