Re: Splitting trains (was Connex train splitting)

"Michael Wierzbinski" <wizzer1865@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> writes:
>"Sam Eades" <seades@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> Hmmmm. Australian standard my foot!!! On the Ballarat line, Sprinters are
>> divided with passengers on board at Bacchus Marsh.
>>
>Sam, do they split because the lead unit continues on to Ballarat or because one
>unit is returning to Melbourne and the other is stabling, either way the one
>that is empty would probably be the one that is splitting. Of course I'm not
>sure one way or the other ,maybe someone could enlighten us all :-)

It happens on the morning Seymour Service (last Sprinter which is Empty is detached
at Kilmore East to form the local service).  Afternoon Seymour service the last
sprinter (sometimes 2) are dropped off and return to Melbourne empty (via the goods
lines).  There is also a few other services where sprinters detach/attach on route
(Bendigo/Echuca is another).  But I think you find the stationary sprinter is the
one with the people on it, and the other one(s) are empty and do the actual coupling.

But hey, if it can be done with sprinters, then I don't see why a comeng can't arrive
into Ringwood and couple straight up to the Comeng in front before it even stops and
opens the doors.

Chris @ Uni.