Re: Splitting trains (was Connex train splitting)

"Michael Wierzbinski" <wizzer1865@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3acd1aae$0$25514$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3acd1aae$0$25514$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> Sam, do they split because the lead unit continues on to Ballarat or
because one
> unit is returning to Melbourne and the other is stabling, either way the
one
> that is empty would probably be the one that is splitting. Of course I'm
not
> sure one way or the other ,maybe someone could enlighten us all :-)

Time to hijack this to NSW......

At Gosford every afternoon, an eight car train will divide into two, with
the front four cars forming an express to Newcastle and the rear four cars
forming an all-stations to Newcastle. This is with non-Scharfenberg couplers
too, so there is the rigamarole of taking out the electrical connections,
undoing the air hoses and seperating the auto-couplers.

There are also occasions in the morning where two trains will combine at
Gosford. One is from Newcastle, the other starts at Gosford, but they make
no attempt to stop people from boarding prior to the amalgamation, so there
will be people on it.

There are also the Endeavours which divide at Moss Vale, and the Xplorers
which divide and amalgamate at Werris Creek and Goulburn, all with both
sections of the train occupied.

Seems to me that it is not happening with Connex because they do not want it
to happen, rather than it being technically or legally impossible.

Dave