[vic - all?] Late trains

Hi all,

After the absolutely disgraceful performance of Connex over the past
couple of days:

Tues:
7.26am preston - city cancelled
7.43am running 15 mins late - too crowded to get on a preston
7.57am running 13 mins late, squeezed on

8:44am FSS - lilydale (or belgrave - I was going to glenferrie) 6 mins
late (at least the trains met at FSS so I got a smooth changeover)

Wed:

10.54am Ringwood - city running 18 mins late

didn't notice the other couple trains I caught, but not *too* late...

Anyway, I notice that there was no explaination for any of this,
passengers just felt left out in the cold (literaly) - the only
announcement was that the 7.26 wasn't running and the next train was the
7.43 - then that the next train would be the 7.57 when the 7.43 finally
arrived - information that could have been obtained from the speaking
timetable...

There was not even an announcement saying that the trains were running
late, although in my experience these announcements are generally made 5-
10 mins after the train is due, thus rendering useless the fact that it
*is* running late, hopefully they'll at least tell you how late.

Is there any reason that those with microphones refuse to inform customers
of what is going on?  Is it just that they don't care, and can't be
bothered finding out?

I recall being on a train a couple of months ago where within 30 seconds
of stopping between stations was informed by the driver that there was a
signal problem up ahead and we would be delayed by approximately 15 mins,
he then went on to give us regular updates of his exchanges with the
controllers and such as to how long it would be before we were on our way.

It was amazing how much better this made everyone feel, because while
there was nothing to be done but wait, at least we knew what was going on
and felt like we were being told things and not just kept in the dark.

Perhaps some of the station staff could learn something from this driver.
such as telling customers where the train is going is something that
should be done while the train is at the station with the doors open - and
not as it's pulling out of the platform, something I see happen at FSS on
a regular basis.

Ahh that's better, nothing like a good rant every now and then :)

Regards

OgO.
--
My Win9x Cursors: http://qjc.cjb.net/cursors.html
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.