Re: Tickets plan wins support

"Anthony Morton" <amorton@mudguard.ee.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
9abrcl$o4e$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:9abrcl$o4e$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> On the face of it the idea sounds attractive, but fiddling around with the
> nature of the penalty isn't going to stop the fare evasion that occurs
now.
> (In fact if I was a fare evader I'd probably find the idea very
attractive.)

Of course not - you fare evade until you get caught, then you get $80 worth
of paid travel. Then once that is used, you fare evade again until caught,
then repeat the procedure.

If a penalty you pay actually gives you something, it is not actually a
penalty. Perhaps if they made it so that the fine was raised to $200, and
you got $100 of tickets with that (thus incurring an *actual* penalty) it
might have some merit.

Dave