Re: [NSW] CityRail Ticketing, Part II

In article <9aag9c$h2t$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au>,
Nathan Cox <nathan1@ihug.com.au> wrote:
>If you would have read my last post.The reason why they took  then off the
>B.O.M's was cos people were using the day tripper to go to the Outer/Greater
>Cityrail area's, when the ticket is only valid within the metropolitan
>area.It was a error to put them on the machines in the outer suburban area.
>
>People cant understand this, well tough luck, there only passengers.I dont
>get paid to hear them whinge.

 Thats just bloody mindedness turning passengers away. Not as if this person
is trying a evade paying for a ticket, they just don't want to be FORCED into
a train change once they hit the suburban area.

 Why is buying a DayTripper ticket from an outer suburban station any different
from buying an extension ticket to your weekly when you want to go further ?.

 Any one will sell you an extension, after showing you have a valid ticket
to the starting station. I'm not forced to alight , exit the station, buy the
ticket there and go back down to the platform and wait for another train.

 My wife once had a problem buying a return ticket at Town Hall (more than once
actually) where she wanted a return from Central (where her weekly ended) to
St Leonards. She complained the Cityrail the first time and got a letter back
saying that it was perfectly allowable to by a return between 2 stations some
where in the middle between them. Then some one at Town Hall refused to sell
such a ticket again. (This resulted in another exchange with Cityrail, who
apoligised for the staff at Town Hall). The first time she left an got the
ticket she wanted at Martin Place, the other time Wynyard. The Ticket sellers
at Town Hall were convinced she was trying to fair evade. What she was trying
to do was avoid buying 3 single tickets to complete the journey (having bought
a Central - Town Hall aready to get into the CBD in the first place, and then
later continuing the trip, but returning in 'one' leg). The solution to our
problem is don't sell returns at a discount, then there would be no financial
gain by trying to by a return to a different station from what you are starting
at. :-)

 So why is buying a DayTripper any different from buying an extension ?