Re: Driverless trains in USA

Taliesin Walker wrote:

> Not in my opinion. It would be difficult to central control trains
> when they operate on track with level crossings, pedestrain crossings
> and freight trains. It seems to me that you would always need someone
> up the front to respond immediately to an emergancy, so why bother
> spending any money automate the system in the first place?

To save money.

No - not wages :-) - from reduction of energy consumed.

Considerable research work going on at Centre for Railway Engineering
here (Rocky) to get improved driving techniques for energy reduction
particularly on the heavy haul stuff (22,000 tons).
Big, big bikkies from even 1% energy saving.
This is heading toward either full automation or driver augmentation - a
bit like current airliners.

Can't see any likelihood of driverless trains here for the reasons you
give.   Recent example - young driver rolled his car out west from here
and ended up on the tracks.   Got out without a scratch.
Train coming.   Stood watching train hit car.  Immediately afterwards he
was injured when hit by his car!

With such rank stupidity about there's got to be a driver :-)