Re: [NSW] Fare evasion (sort of)

"Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
dIiB5.13563$O7.183721@ozemail.com.au">news:dIiB5.13563$O7.183721@ozemail.com.au...
> The absolute imperative was to move passengers with a minimum of delay
over
> the last couple of weeks.  Barrier delays with passengers unfamiliar with
> the gates was an undesirable flow inhibitor so the pragmatic and realistic
> approach was to open the gates.
>
> My gut feeling is that those new to CityRail would probably have paid any
> required fares for the two weeks.  Much fare evasion arises as people who
> regularly use the system determine that their chances of being caught  are
> low and at $100 a pop it's cheaper than always paying the fare.  Perhaps
the
> nth offence in so many years should be a criminal offence with more severe
> penalties etc.

They can do that now. Fare evasion already is a criminal offence if dealt
with via the courts. All an infringement notice is is a notice that they
intend to prosecute, and paying the fine is both an admission that the
offence occurred and a way of avoiding said prosecution.

I agree with you though that they should take it to the courts if someone
has a certain number of hits in a certain period and let the courts deal
with it. It would have to be a custodial sentence though (and yes, I am
suggesting prison time for someone who receives (as an example) 20
infringement notices in a two year period).

Dave