Re: CityRail Olympic Passenger Numbers

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in article
<39d2ab38$0$26550$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>> It makes sense to look at Newsgroup posts in a standard font
>> such as Courier New.
>
>No, it makes sense to look at Newsgroups in whatever looks good to the
>individual.

Everyone can view fixed width fonts, not everyone can view many dynamic
fonts, for example Comic Sans MS. My chosen font for Xnews is Arial (crap
font, I know - but it's readable) BUT, and a very big BUT, my news reader
has a fixed width button, that automatically changes the text to a fixed
width font, in my case Courier New.

My posting edit screen uses Courier New, because my newsreader, being RFC
compliant, keeps my own posts at 76 columns, unless I specify not to.

The problem with using a non-fixed font (i.e. dynamic font) is that they
all differ. Times New Roman is different to Arial is different to Comic
Sans MS. For the sake of posting tables, it's wise to post in a fixed width
font because all systems support it. If I am using a unix terminal, which I
do from time to time, and as a few people here use, you are confined to a
fixed width font or nothing. Using your logic, EVERYONE should switch to
Comic Sans MS (one font) to view your table. Using a fixed width font, you
have a large number of options still, and with a decent newsreader, you can
still carry on using your favourite font.

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).