Re: NSW North Shore Line

Adam Hayhurst <Adam_Hayhurst@rta.nsw.gov.au> wrote:

> -- At Approx 11pm the power between wynyard and Hornsby was cut after
> the electrical storm , buses to replace trains in both directions until
> power is restored, unknown completion time .

Trains were terminating at North Sydney end and were still heading
south from Gordon, so it wasn't cut off from Wynyard to Hornsby.

I was waiting to pick up someone from the City at Gordon from around
10:50pm and during this period several trains departed heading South
and eventually two trains came in heading North, one at around 11:30pm
and another at around 00:15am.

At about 11:15pm I rang 131500 to find out why no Northbound trains
had appeared and was advised the trains were being replaced by buses
due to weather related problems.  Shortly thereafter a van pulled up
at Gordon and man wearing reflective Sydney Buses rain wear started
organising the first of a steady stream of buses/coaches that started
appearing.  The buses/coaches bore signage from all over NSW, so they
had obviously been drawn from the ORTA route fleet.

The Olympic visitor I was waiting for arrived on a bus at 00:15am,
just as a Northbound train pulled in, it had taken him 2 hours to get
from Wynyard to Gordon, but he was still impressed with the speed with
which the replacement bus service had been organised and put in place.

Apparently someone jumped in front of a train out West somewhere
(Harris Park?) and service on the West were also disrupted last night.

Cheers,

Bill