Re: Far northern tilt train on schedule

"Colin Weaver" <colingw@my-deja.com> wrote in message
8qe5bo$2hj$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8qe5bo$2hj$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <8qcrld$duk$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Railway Rasputin3 <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Electrifrication reduce the travel time...but not sufficient to
> compete
> > with highway trucks, QR need to run more trains to recover from this
> > cost but it does not have the potential to attract more tonnage at the
> > moment. QR's further upgrade to the mainlines in the future would help
> > and eventually add more trains on this line to justify the cost of
> > electrifrication.
>
> My 10 cents worth... I can't see QR decomissioning the North Coast Line
> electrification - after all it is vital for passenger workings, but I
> would be unsurprised to see the majority of freight workings revert to
> diesel. I think it is likely that we will continue to see 3900 class
> locos on the Sunlander, Queenslander, Spirit of the Outback & GSPE as I
> doubt the current Brisbane - Rocky timings could be maintained with
> diesel traction.

QR have run trials with  a 2130 on the Queenslander and Sunlander trains
with a view to Diesel operation through to Cairns and return. Timetable
(sectional) running wasn't a problem. The idea was to release the 3900's for
freight use as the Mail train load is only 650 tonnes compared to the
through freight load (single 3900) Brisbane to Rocky of 1400 tonnes. These
locomotives are wasted on the passenger trains.
The 2130's are also receiving a type of maxi- over haul, enlarged cabs,
ditch lights updated electronics etc.

--
Regards,
Steven Robertson