Re: [NSW] - SMH reporting on Cityrail 15/9/2000

antstig@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <39c533e7$0$26538$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
>   "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
>
> > No different to using emergency at any other time.
>
> Yes it is. When passing a signal at danger "under rule" the driver
> warns passengers that there is going to be a sharp jolt.

I don't think there is any need for that.  When doing this, the train would be
travelling at a speed of less than 2 km/h - it would be stopped before the
brakes had fully applied.

> > Once the signal has been passed, procedure is fairly irrelevant. Once
> the
> > signal has been passed, not following procedure will usually just keep
> > things moving, as most SPADS are not serious, which is why procedure
> is
> > often ignored and the SPAD is not reported.
>
> re you really serious? I don't think that is very safe. Are you
> telling me that the driver once he's passed a signal at danger just
> merrilly drives along irrespective that there might be a train ahead,
> or some other obstruction etc.
>
> You're having me on. It's certainly not what I've read in the SPAD
> journal, the name of which I can't remember.

I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers did that in automatic sections under the
old rules.  The old rules did not require any authority to pass an automatic
signal at stop.  With the new rules, there would be less drivers tempted to do
it, but I wouldn't say it would not happen.  It would be easier to say they
attempted to contact the signaller to no avail and continued than it would be to
say they just SPADed.   There would be no excuse for doing this at a controlled
signal (except maybe an Accept or Outer Home with no plate)   It basically comes
down to what you can get away with.   Between Emu Plains and Springwood, they
have installed a remote SPAD alarm in the signal boxes at each end of the
automatic section.  You can't get away with it any more up there!

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au