Re: 4204 too heavy

"Chris" <chrisc@fl.net.au> writes:

>By how much do they subsidise the museum operation? It couldn't be much as
>the LVR have only one going steam loco, plus at least 2 (32 and 30) in
>various stages of dismemberment . Or does the money go on "heritage"
>diesels?

>Chris
Wrong.  5367 and 1059 are both steamable.  I visited LVR earlier this year
on a "not officialy open" day and was impressed with the number of members
who were there working on equipment.  The constant criticism of preservation
groups in this forum is silly.  Most museum workers are volanteers, why
shouldn't they work on the exhibits that interest them the most.  The
availability of skills and spares of course is also a factor.

The fact that 1059 has been restored shows that money does not drive these
groups.  You can't haul freight or passengers with 1059 (not faster than
you could walk anyway).

--
Stephen Tolhurst                 S.Tolhurst@isu.usyd.edu.au
Data Network Manager             +61 2 9351 5506