Re: Thought exercise - steam VFT

using steam as you specified David B, and considering a TGV style route made 40+
years ago, I'd wonder how our express locos of the day ( C38 NSW  & VR "S" or
even "H","R")
would travel. I suppose I'm asking what could these locos do if they could run on
the speedrail route ( for exanple ) - not pulling a long heavy train either ?

Would they have a dramatic time saving compared to the present route ? I realise
they would not be running 130km+ - but back then such a proposal would have been
considerd a "VFT" !

Regards,
David Head