Re: Thought exercise - steam VFT

david (david@nmit.vic.edu.au) wrote:
> using steam as you specified David B, and considering a TGV style route made 40+
> years ago, I'd wonder how our express locos of the day ( C38 NSW  & VR "S" or
> even "H","R")
> would travel.

A 38 maxes out at about 105mph. This is limited by the grate area and
heating surface, hence the capacity to generate steam. With poppet valves
and Caprotti valve gear, it should be able to reach about 115mph. After
that you start doing damage to the crank pins because of the speed of
revolution to the wheels.

kkCheers
David