Re: QR's proposal diesel tilt train timetable

Railway Rasputin3 (jamesccj@optusnet.com.au) wrote:

> David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> IAUu5.10$6K3.3576@news0.optus.net.au">news:IAUu5.10$6K3.3576@news0.optus.net.au...
> > Railway Rasputin3 (james_ccj@my-deja.com) wrote:
> > > VirginBlue will introduce Brisbane-Cairns flight soon, diesel tilt
> > > train will have to be competitive in price and comfort inorder to stay
> > > in business.
> >
> > The Queenslander has been operating competitively with air for years, at
> > approximately similar prices. People who go by train along the Queensland
> > coast do so to see the scenery and to get on and off at intermediate
> > stops, not because it's cheaper.

> I was concerning diesel tilt train's future.

> Queenslander, like the Ghan and Indian Pacific which are at the same price
> or higher then airfare won't be affect by the cut price airfare.
> Queenslander is a class of its own.

I agree. The Sunlander runs more often and carries more people, but only a
small percentage travel all the way from Brisbane to Cairns without a
stopover.

As I said earlier, you go by train to see the scenery. That's what tourism
is all about.

Cheers
David