Re: Far northern tilt train on schedule

My understanding is that, at present ( & since early 1990's) diesel is
cheaper than electric, even on high use lines. This is due to relatively
lower fuel prices and increased efficieny of modern diesle engines.

If fuel prices do keep increasing, would electric traction become more
economical, or is diesel going to be more economical except where very high
volumes of traffic?

WRT Toowoomba, there would be little point electrifying that line unless a
new line over the Little Liverpool Range and main range were built. This,
would only be econimic if:

1)    coal mines were opened up on DD, and were not railed to Gladstone
(remember Bris has only one coal terminal at port); or

2)     SG line from Melbourne is constructed and then cost would be
justified.

The only likely option at present would be to build a deviation over LLR with
electric trains terminating at Helidon and then connecting by bus to
Toowoomba.

Mark Nolan