Re: [NSW] 44 vs 48 class

In article <39c890b7$0$26537$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
  "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

> "Ben O'Regan" <benandveronica@net21.com.au> wrote in message
> 39c887ed$1@news.hunterlink.net.au">news:39c887ed$1@news.hunterlink.net.au...
> > I read somewhere that one 44 class loco was equal (in haulage
terms) to
> two
> > 48 class.
>
> In general terms a main line engine was equal to 2 branch line
engines. I
> just had a look for my old books to get the exact figures, but it
looks like
> I've thrown everthing out.
>
> > Given the large number of 48s still being used, from what I've
seen, in
> > multiples of 2, 3, 4 or even 5 and that the 48s were introduced
before thr
> > 44s, I have found myself wondering why the 44s were scrapped and
the 48s
> (in
> > multiples) remain.
>
> I think the later Mark 48's were introduced after the 44's. FC had
all the
> locos they needed when they scrapped the 44, 49, 73, 422 (most). Then
we
> forced them to scrap the 46. Even most of the 48's were scheduled to
go.

> Someone's been using a 44 at Leightonfield.
>
> From a Driver's point of view, they had a lousy one :-)  They had a
nice
> ride and a nice sound, but that was about it, they were unreliable.
The
> larger Drivers didn't like walking through the engineroom, they'd
need a new
> shirt by the time they changed ends.

Speculation from a Tasmanian here, but it may also be the case that the
48s simply lasted longer, either through having gentler branch line
lives, or because they were built tough but with relatively small
engines, meaning lower stresses on the frame and running gear.  This
could have made them better deals than the thrashed 44 main-liners.

I know the 48 cousins, the AN 830s, weren't that popular when
transferred to Tassie (maybe the drivers preferred the big front
windows of the X, Y, Z and Za classes!), but some of those 830s went on
to third lives back on the mainland, rather than being scrapped,
suggesting they had commendable longevity.

That's my theory.

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.