Re: 4204 too heavy

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:27:33 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>As has been mentioned elsewhere in this newsgroup, LVR's 4204 has been
>deemed too heavy for use on Cowra line and is effectively confined to
>Cowra yard. Is is possible to lighten the load sufficiently to get it to
>Blayney, and ultimately Sydney? Could be useful in assisting the GMs,
>given the increasing loads.
>
>Cheers
>David

This issue is interesting as according to the SRAs own locomotove
books ,42 class have an axle load of 20 tonnes , which is less than
the 21.5 tonne axle load of a G / 81 .
Can we therefore assume that Gs / 81s are also banned from using this
line.?

In 1978 , this line was classed as a grade 3,(same as Queanbeyan to
Cooma ) and 42s were allowed 80 km/h all the way , with lighter locos
like 44s allowed 100 km/h .
Amazing what a litle lack of maintenance can achieve.

MD