Re: Refurbished Comeng set, Melbourne [Vic.]

> > Today (Mon.18.9), a six-car refurbished Connex Trains Comeng set ran on
> > public services: Epping - Belgrave - Glen Waverley - Lilydale - Epping.
> > The set will be running the same roster all week, splitting after
> > returning from Belgrave (half kept at Flinders St pfm 1 west for crew
> > training; half returning to Epping).
> > I rode on the 8.05 down Belgrave, and 9.22 up.
>
> And what did you think?

Great.

> I sat in the rear most car on the way to Lilydale.

Umm, I was in the front car both ways.

> The new seats are very hard, and you seam to sit 'on' them rather than in
> them. Its like you are going to fall out of the seats while crossing a
> junction. Perhaps they are a little wider which is thoughtful. Not sure of
> the underseat look, very bear.

Yes the extra room and different layout is better.  Having spend the
whole day on the thing I was in less pain then I would spending a whole
day on a Comeng or Hitachi (which I have done).

> The colour scheme looks great, if a little cold looking inside. WHERES THE
> CARPET!  The lack of carpet seems to make the ride noisier than the
> un-referbished trains, not mention adding to the cold feeling factor. Carpet
> could have just been excluded in the door ways.

Look at the carpet in any Comeng, it is dirty and shit.  I would rather
have a floor like that which can be cleaned.  Also when Connex did there
survey the asked the following and got the following answer:
Would you like carpet in your trains? YES
Did the train you just hopped out of have carpet? I DON'T KNOW.

> The scorling information signs might have something of more interest than
> "Welcome to Connex Trains" over and over again, how about some news
> headlines?

No this will tell you what the next station is, and the stopping
conditions of the train and any connections, eg:
"NEXT CAMBERWELL, CHANGE FOR ALAMEIN LINE, THIS TRAINS RUNS EXPRESS TO
BOX HILL"

> I liked the new windows at the end of the cars, and the front of the train
> looks great.

Agree.

> Oh and the door next to me had a real nice squeek rattle, sounded like a
> real old banger.
>
> Perhaps they might actually wash this one now and then.  The old ones are
> totally disgusting, I don't think the outsides have EVER been washed.

Go to Epping and watch, they do put a few trains through the Wash Dock
each day. (Same for Bayside at North Melbourne)

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news