Re: $550m to speed up Vic rail services

It goes on to say the stations served by these fast
> trains would be:
>
> Ballarat, Bacchus Marsh, Melton, North Melbourne, Spencer Street.
> Bendigo, Castlemaine, Kyenton, Woodend, Sunbury, North Melbourne,
> Spencer Street.
> Traralgon, Morwell, Moe, Warragul, Flinders Street, Spencer Street.
> South Geelong, Geelong, Nth Geelong, North Melbourne, Spencer Street.

It doesn't say that.
It indicates these are the ones with the highest patronage, but goes on
to say (buried on page 4,681) that the feasibility studies were done
based on the trains not stopping anywhere at all enroute to ballarat
and bendigo, stopping only at dandenong enroute to traralgon, and at
n/m and n/g enroute to geelong.

So the current plans do not have the trains stopping anywhere. This
needs to be reconsidered.

> Also the report says these fast trains will supplement the existing
> services.

Yes, but the benefit of the fast trains need to extend to as many
people as possible.

> But I would be more worried about saving the double line to Bendigo,
if
> that goes single then the time savings would be next to none, single
> line and crossing loops don't work after the line has been double for
> 130+ years.  (Just look what happened to the Adelaide Hills, every day
> the first train up the hills runs late because of the wet tracks and
> then every other train for the rest of the day is late).

Yes quite right, we will be opposing this.

For the record, the PTUA's position is:
* Frequency is at least as important as speed. Hourly or half-hourly
frequencies to most places are to be preferred. Hours of operation are
also important
* Broadly support attempts to reduce travel time, provided cost is not
so prohibitive as to leave no money for other things. Generally happy
with present plans for infrastructure with notable exception of single
vs double track (as below)
* Buses in regional centres and to smaller towns need fixing
* Line to Ballarat should be duplicated at least as far as Melton,
preferably all the way with the exception of the bridge over the
reservoir
* Line to Bendigo must under no circumstances be single-tracked
* Trains should stop at the major centres, with precise stopping
patterns subject to further consultation with local communities. Local
stopping trains are required in addition to the faster expresses.
* reopening lines to Ararat, Maryborough, and improved services to
Warrnambool, Swan Hill, etc, should be considered as part and parcel of
the upgrade

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.