Re: $550m to speed up Vic rail services

Chris Gordon (cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au) wrote:
> > For the sake of special steam services, let's hope it includes resignalling
> > the Bendigo line with automatic signalling to allow 'follow on moves'. If
> > 160 kph running is brought in with the current block signalling currently in
> > place you can kiss goodbye nearly every available path for slower special
> > trains.

> Yes I think for $800 Million you will get automatic signalling.

Bidirectional signalling on the Bendigo line would also be useful.

As a matter of interest, the Loddon-Campaspe area is one of the fastest
growing regions of Victoria. There are a substantial number of commuters
from the region, but mostly by car. With rail journey times from this area
to be reduced to about an hour, it might make sense to reopen stations
such as Elphinstone and Tarradale, at least as unattended platforms.

> I understand more than 1/2 the money will be spent in the suburban area,
> ie more tracks, after all most lines could easily run at 160 km/h now,

Outside the metro area, all the bell blocks have to be lengthened to allow
for higher approach speeds. A sticking point on the Ballarat line will be
the relatively sharp curve at Melton.

Cheers
David