Re: New steam locomotives for India

In article <39C484AA.F95787E7@one.net.au>,
  Bob <alco@one.net.au> wrote:
> Read about it at:
> http://www.indianrailway.com/railway/purchase/pur.html

Hmm, when I saw the subject header, I thought that this would signal a
glorious comeback of the age of steam..... :P~

Seriously though, I'm not a huge fan of steam but, from an economic
sense, surely steam traction would be better? In many parts of the
world (northern England, New South Wales, Appalachia) coal is so cheap
that it's hardly worth digging out of the ground resulting in thousands
of job losses in coal-mining regions throughout coal mining regions,
which flow on into manufacturing industries, etc.

Australia is also self-sufficient in coal; but we have to import crude
oil. The current oil situation shows just how dependent our energy
needs are on a bunch of towelhead sheiks in the Middle East. What if
they decide to cut the supply altogether, say, during a 'holy jihad'
against Western nations, or if the oil reserves run out?

It may be dirtier and not as fast, but bring back coal-fired steam
traction for freight (and maybe long distance passenger) - CHOO CHOO!

Regards,
Bradley.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.