Re: [NSW] - SMH reporting on Cityrail 15/9/2000

<antstig@my-deja.com> wrote in message 8q3sp6$v0c$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8q3sp6$v0c$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>   "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> > <antstig@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8q2d3g$b57
> Sorry Tezza, I
> disagree. All SPADs are serious because as I've already
> > > pointed out the sudden jolt as the train is tripped could injure
> > > someone old or disabled or even someone not expecting it.
> >
> > No different to using emergency at any other time.
>
> Yes it is. When passing a signal at danger "under rule" the driver
> warns passengers that there is going to be a sharp jolt.

Maybe in Pommie land, not here.

> > > "Applying the Rule" as signals at danger is only carried out in the
> > > event of signal failure or when it is imperative to get a train's
> nose into a platform in order to detrain platforms during major delays.
> It is also used by trains assisting defective trains.
> >
> > You want to try re-writing this to make more sense please?
>
> Applying the rule means a set of procedures to be followed after
> passing a signal at danger whether deliberately or accidentally.

That still didn't explain most of the paragraph. How do you detrain a
platform?

> > Once the signal has been passed, procedure is fairly irrelevant. Once
> the signal has been passed, not following procedure will usually just keep
> > things moving, as most SPADS are not serious, which is why procedure
> is often ignored and the SPAD is not reported.
>
> Are you really serious?

Yes.

> I don't think that is very safe. Are you
> telling me that the driver once he's passed a signal at danger just
> merrilly drives along irrespective that there might be a train ahead,
> or some other obstruction etc.

No, he'll get onto the signaller. Depending on what mood the signaller is in
and what has happened, he may or may not report it. If the signaller doesn't
report it, he'll tell the Driver when he's right to go. Happens all the
time.

> You're having me on. It's certainly not what I've read in the SPAD
> journal, the name of which I can't remember.

Completely serious. "SPAD journal"? I think someone's taking it too
seriously.