Re: Connex site runs slow

> Since you make no mention about the hardware, which obviously does
> make a difference, can we assume that it too is fairly basic in being
> 486dx-50, 32mb ram and a 100mb hard disk? Perhaps it is using a
> 14.4Kbs modem as well.
>
> There is nothing wrong with IIS4. We run Proxy Server 2 without any
> hassles. Stick enough memory in it (>64mb) and it will fly.

Two things of note:
1. The Netcraft site offers IIS 4.0 running on NT or 98. I guess by
virtue of the fact they are running IIS means it must be NT (unless
Personal Web Server returns the same info as IIS!), but it would be
amusing to think their site is slow because it runs Win98...8^)

2. We run IIS4 on NT4 at work with a Celeron of some kind and 192MB (it
also runs our proxy using MS Proxy 2 I think). We run several apps on
it including an enrolment editor I wrote in ASP so our students can
enrol for VCE subjects. Given about 60% or more left it until Thursday
to enrol (typical kids!) and it ran without problem, I can say that I
don't have a problem with IIS4 running smoothly under some load.
Neither apparently do Nasdaq or Intel or Ford or many other known
companies according to the Netcraft results page. I doubt Connex have
that many people looking up their website anyway given there isn't an
awful lot of use on it for Joe Punter...no real timeables, no pictures,
no tourist info like the old Hillside site, no real time train info as
promised, etc. I haven't even had the courtesy of an email back from
them even acknowledging mine sent! Needless to say I won't bother
joining their Connector Club - there's obviously no point. (and yes, I
probably am whinging, but it is a bit of a crappy website and poor
service not to acknowledge or reply to communications sent).
--
Michael Walker
Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/