Re: NSW Opposition claims rail shake-up a step in right direction

Maurie Daly wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 02:46:11 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
> Bromage) wrote:
>
> >The NSW Opposition has welcomed the management shake-up at State Rail, but
> >says it does not go far enough.
> >
> >http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/nsw/archive/metnsw-30oct2000-6.htm
>
> Im a bit confused here,and I wonder whether Carl Scully and the media
> is as well.
> "State Rail" as it seems to be called is now simply a rail operator
> running over RACs tracks and is subject to maintenance holdups caused
> by RSA, yet another Rail authority.
> Whilst there is no doubt that there are major problems within the
> current State Rail Authority, how much of this is all due to State
> Rail mismanagement?
> It seems that the other CEOs  of both RAC and RSA have gotton off
> scott free.
> Is Simon Lane simply a convenient scapegoat who has to fall in order
> that Carl Scully can be seen to be shaking up the Railways generally.
> If Ron Christie is appointed to head "State Rail" does this mean that
> he will then no longer be Director General of Rail, ie no longer in
> charge of RAC / RSA.
>
> "State Rail" or whatever you wish to call it , wont be able to
> function properly until it is re constituted as a vertically
> integrated railway, which is what it used to be before being broken up
> into lots of little bits .
>
> MD

WRONG

All the government in NSW has ever done is shuffle deck chairs, either with
structure or CEO. One day maybe (or am I too optimistic) they will learn that
is what is really needed is

   * A change in culture in the industry
   * Stability so that long term investment plans can be made
   * A major investment of capital to bring a 19th century railway into the
     21st century.

--
Bruce L. Greening
bgreeni@ibm.net