Re: [NSW] Tangara problems

|Ah youth!!
|
|For those of us who started riding to school in cold and draughty Bradfield
|cars, Tangaras are positively sybaritic! In my experience I have found them
|relatively quiet, comfortable and smooth.
|
|I think we need to get things in perspective a bit! They are by no means
the
|worst suburban sets in the world. Many of the gripes which are posted in
|this ng are pretty minor in the scheme of things.
|
|Let's see some evidence of safety issues and other major faults which still
|remain, apart from the door problems posted elsewhere in this thread. Then
|we can really judge whether the sets are worthy of the sort of criticism
|beinmg offered.

No one here (including me) has said that the Tangara is the worst train in
the world. They do have some advantages over other CityRail trains (even my
beloved V sets) including a wider less cramped driver's cabin, help points,
ease of car isolation, better passenger doors. The fact remains that it has
been asked what are some problems with Tangaras (which has been
asked/explained/expressed ad naseum).

As a passenger and not as a driver/guard, I can't give comments about the
technical side of things. However, i am a passenger like others on this
newsgroup and my biggest bugbear about the train type we are talking about
here is the uncomfortable seating, followed by the other factors I've
mentioned. I'd prefer the seating type of trains such as the V, R, S and
some K sets when we are talking about comfort - and I'm talking for a train
ride of around an hour (my most common trip).

Of course trains have improved from the Bradfield cars. it would be naive of
me to try and convince anyone of anything to the contray.The simple thing
that I get from this thread (I may be wrong) is that passenger comfort does
not seem to be important. There would only be a handful of people in this
group who have operated a Tangara so the rest of us have to rely on what we
have read/guessed/heard when it comes to things like braking problems etc
which is what the original question is more about. We have mainly passenger
comfort (where the train arguably fails when compared to other trains) and
security (where it is better than other trains).

When talking about safety, I'd consider the fact that the trains seem to
like to capsize/fallover (possibly due to factors in the "Continue the
research thread" that I started) in recent derailments when compared to
other train types important. I'd also consider the fact that emergency
release handles inside the train (and on other types) have been removed as
an important safety issue.

We have to only look at the Great Tangara Showdown thread to see that all of
us will not sing the train's praises.

--
Eric
www.erk.au.com