Re: Article in AFR

Barry Campbell <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
m66K5.8708$SF5.166423@ozemail.com.au">news:m66K5.8708$SF5.166423@ozemail.com.au...

> Michael wrote in message <8FD9A9C33gunzelT333@139.130.239.94>...
> >Bill <billguest@the.net.nz> wrote in article
> ><39F7AE34.A0B564A7@the.net.nz>:
> >
> >>However, I am sure that the Australian Treasury and transport "gurus"
> >>will get it just right, and privatisation will be a roaring sucess for
> >>you all...........
> >
> >Of course privatisation will be a roaring success in the long run for all
> >Australians. Now pardon me, while I go and feed the pigs, they have a
long
> >flight ahead of them.
> >
> It can't be much worse than government ownership. Don't take the UK
> experience as applicable to Australia. That mistake has been made in the
> past.
>
> Barry Campbell

Look at the media in the last few days for the ideological moves by the
Federal Government on outsourcing, requiring departments to go to the
private sector, even when the job will cost more, or there is an immature
market. Departments are specifically prohibited from submitting competitive
bids. A bit like state-owned corporations not being allowed to bid for NR,
even if the price was higher than the private sector and might provide
economies of scale, not to mention the increasing fire-sale of Australian
assets to overseas corporations..

The Federal Libs have learned nothing from the British experience. Indeed,
if you know your history, you will be inclined to draw some comparisons with
the Bourbon Kings of France, who also learned nothing from ther mistakes,
and look where that got them!

Graham Smith