Re: Article in AFR

So privatisation has not been the salvation of rail transport in the UK! Well,
it hasn't in New Zealand, either. The Rail and Maritime Transport Union in NZ
has been drawing people's attention to a hard-hitting review of Tranz Rail Ltd,
written by an Australian journalist, Alex Millmow on Friday 20 October. (The
only trouble is, I have not identified the paper or journal for which Millmow
penned the article. If anyone can tell me I would be grateful.)

NZ did not split up the infrastructure and the operations, but instead flogged
the whole lot (with a 99 year peppercorn lease of the underlying land, to side
step Maori land claims....) to the highest institutional bidders. They have
taken various profits and dividends out, but now the company is out of money,
and is talking about outsourcing, line abandonment, etc etc. And a ministerial
inquiry in to safety agreed that there was a problem - five workers killed
inside 12 months......

However, I am sure that the Australian Treasury and transport "gurus" will get
it just right, and privatisation will be a roaring sucess for you all...........

Bill