Re: [WA] Minister denies Govt not committed to high-speed train

"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
89CJ5.7290$SF5.144253@ozemail.com.au">news:89CJ5.7290$SF5.144253@ozemail.com.au...

> James C. wrote in message <8t6fo9$1u4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >
> >Indian Pacific can run at competitive speed to road coaches. If an EL
> >class or AN class haul IP along this stretch, higher speed would be
> >possible. If you took both the comfortable GSR coach seats and
> >Greyhound's crappy coach before you would be able to make a judgement.
> >IP's coach seat is a lot more comfortable then Greyhound. It would be
> >even better if GSR can provide some sort of club car for coach
> >passengers to stretch leg and run IP more frequently.
> >
> >--
> What is the fare comparison? Anybody silly enough to sit up over that
> distance would only do it to save money.

Not really - I did the bus trip (back in the days when Deluxe were still
running) but I deliberately did the run that left Adelaide around 2100,
arriving Perth at around 0600 two mornings later. The daylight run started
at Ceduna and went until around Norseman. There is scenery (of the Great
Australian Bight) that cannot be accessed except by driving across, and for
those who wish to see the scenery, Greyhound provide opportunities that GSR
do not (although their timetable could be better structured).

Dave