Re: (VIC)Person hit By Train.

> >A crib crossing is designed to make the person face both ways before
> >crossing the line, but as post people I see walk around them, they don't
> >fully turn and don't see up and down the line, or they walk looking at
> >the ground, or and too spaced out to notice anything anyway.
> My experience of crossing railways has been that if a train is
> approaching the driver blows the horn thus alerting me if for some
> reason I was not paying proper attention. I guess that doesn't work if
> you've got headphones on or you're deaf.

Actually I think the horn will still work in both cases!
I got into the habit of blowing the horn in short pops, rather than a long
blast when warning people in cars and on foot that were not paying
attention. I am sure it works, as I have seen many elderly people, start to
look about as  I do it, and one near miss at Rosanna convinced me, when I
went back to see the old codger was OK, he had to turn his hearing aid on to
hear what I was saying. And on more than one occasion I have seen someone
rip of his or her headphones, as I braked hard pop poping the whistle all
the time. I had many close calls, but fortunately never got one Pedestrian.
The very loud whistle disturbs the air, and the vibration can be picked up,
if you vary it, and not so easily if you hold it constant...anyway it worked
for me [works for animals too!]
Rod [comtrain]