Re: [NSW] Central Platform 26/27

Rearranging the track at 21/23 to extend the platforms would be a LOT
cheaper than tunnelling under the Flying Junctions.

Besides, with a very small amount of work, the TGV could hang off 21/23 at
the southern end and provide a limited service stop (luggage van & whatever
cars you can fit on the platform) at Central as all the whiz-bang facilities
can be provided at St James.  Also, IIRC St James has the potential to
extend platforms 1.33 and 1.66 for another 8-10 car lengths at the northern
end using existing track (though the platform clearances might be close -
does anyone have any first-hand observations here?).  You could extend it
even further if you extend the proposed cross-city tunnel that was intended
to loop back to Town Hall platforms 4&5.

Extending 1.33&1.66 at the northern end would also encourage SpeedRail to
put those pax booked at St James at the southern end of the train and
Central pax at the northern end out of sheer convenience.

If you really wanted to get optimistic, you could even extend those tunnels
to Wynyard platforms 1&2 - though that would defeat the purpose of avoiding
tunnelling to Sydney Terminal 14/15 in the first place.

Any thoughts?

MrPC
ICQ 58337073

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
BkqJ5.37936$UP5.578039@news6.giganews.com">news:BkqJ5.37936$UP5.578039@news6.giganews.com...
<snip>
> They would have to rearrange the track arrangements at the western end
> then - not sure how they plan to configure the trains, but TGV's in France
> (and Spain and Korea) are all longer than the standard NSW platform length
> (and we won't even begin to talk about Eurostar, which is 18 cars + 2
> motors).

PS - apologies to David Johnson for 1.33 & 1.66 - good names, <semi-humorous
nitpick> though technically they should be 1.33 &1.67 </semi-humorous
nitpick>