[Vic] Trains just got closer to Bairnsdale.

Bairnsdale log trains have got longer (I'm told about 35 wagons last week -
it has been returning at night so I hadn't actually seen them). As such a
long train would not fit between Bosworth road and the loading area at
Bairnsdale, I decided to go and investigate how the trains are loaded. I had
a fair idea how it was done, and my guess was right.
T402 - 379 were shut down coupled to 5 wagons on the Bairnsdale (east) side
of Bosworth road crossing (previously trains stopped just before this road.
Gates and a timber baulk blocked the way). The crossing signals have been
brought back into operation and a pathway runs along the line to allow
easier access for loco crews to the train. There appeared to be no baulk
placed over the line past the area the train now runs to. Signs reading
"DERAIL - trains must not enter roadway until flashing lights are operating"
are placed either side of the crossing (one still wrapped in black plastic).
The derails are the hinged type and there is a box containing the FL signal
control beside the crossing.
For the record, X 37 was at the other end of the train, but not coupled to
it so as to leave the sawmill road clear.

New landmark signs were noticed near Hillside and Bairnsdale. Near a
semi-disused road (driveable, but without crossing signs at the railway -
just old rusting gates) was a newly erected sign, white square with a yellow
triangle reading "2500m - BAIRNSDALE".

Marriage lane (no through road - gravel) has had new signs installed at and
in advance of the railway crossing. The faded hazard triangles had been
replaced by GIVE WAY signs. The actual railway crossing signs were still the
original ones (letters peeling off). This road is virtually a driveway as
there is only one property on it.

Buchanan lane a little further west is a sealed road and sees 'much' more
traffic. Despite this, it still has faded hazard triangles instead of GIVE
WAY signs. One triangle has almost no paint left on it. Like all other
crossings on the Sale - Bairnsdale (Bosworth road) section of railway, there
are RAILWAY REOPENED signs in advance of the level crossing to remind
motorists that trains now use the line again.

Oh, if you read all this thinking passenger trains were getting closer to
Bairnsdale - err, sorry :)

Darren Hodges.