Re: $4b transport plan to ease petrol heat

"Chris Downs"
> Tezza
> > "Chris Downs"

> > > Or are these the roads we walk on in the CBD because the footpaths still
> > > aren't wide enough
> >
> > How fat are you? I haven't seen any footpaths that aren't wide enough for
> > someone to walk down.
>
> I'll use your rationale to suggest all CBD streets have one lane for traffic
> in each direction and give the rest over to the pedestrians, but I know
> that's not really what you meant?

I haven't got a clue what you're on about. You said you had to walk on roads
in the CBD because the footpaths aren't wide enough. What streets would that
be? I haven't seen any.

> > > and the RTA designs traffic signals purely for the
> > > benefit of managing motor vehicle flow
> >
> > That's why they're there.
>
> Motorist-centric thinking.  Signals exist for all traffic (that's why most
> signals have little red and green men).

They were designed and built and erected for vehicular traffic, not
pedestrians. Pedestrian lights were a later addition.

> > > and inhibiting pedestrian movement (to improve motor vehicle flow of
> > course).
> >
> > Again, that's why they're there.
>
> And that's why they're ignored.

Then don't complain if a stupid pedestrian gets hit then, they deserve it if
they ignore the lights.

> > >  Again come to Hazelbrook and use
> > > the Great Western Highway pedestrian lights.
> >
> > I can think of better pasttimes.
>
> Like loading spell check?

What loading.

> > >  A peak hour train arrives half
> > > the people cross on the first change and the rest wait the best part of
> two minutes
> >
> > Two minutes? So? There's another 1,438 in the day.
>
> That's why you ring the RTA for slow changing signals of course.

For malfunctioning signals. But as I said I agree on that point.

> > I agree with you on that one. I often ring the RTA fault number and report
> > lights that take too lomng to change when there's no crossflow.
>
> You think the RTA listens to you.  If your lucky it's a rooted presence
> detector and they'll fix it,  more likely RTA "managing" the flow.

They always fix them if someone rings them.

> > While you're waiting, pass around a petition to the council/RTA/SRA for an
> > overhead bridge.
>
> The RTA would squeal at the cost of having to divert the road over the
> footpath, those expensive approach ramps, inadequate sight lines etc..
> However, I'm sure the RTA will give us a 3km pedestrian ramp and bridge when
> they duplicate the carriageway in the not too distant future.

No problem then.

> > > (And don't sweat it, I know there's vague
> > > wandering pedestrians out there, apart from twits however this group
> often contains some very young, very old and mentally ill people).
> >
> > The last catagory shouldn't be allowed to wander anywhere, they should be
> > locked up.
> >

> You're right tezza, I withdraw the Hazelbrook invite and I'll leave your
> last bait to rot.

Damn, I was just getting out the street directory too.