Re: ASR Port Lincoln division

----------
In article <ynaH5.37$Y66.4641@news0.optus.net.au>, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au
(David Bromage) wrote:

> Following on from the Geraldton idea, what is the long term future of the
> ASR narrow gauge lines? Will ASR be prepared to eventually invest in new
> narrow gauge locos, or is the long term solution to regauge? Add a new
> line to connect the division to Whyalla, and possibly Thevenard to
> Tarcoola?
>
> Cheers
> David

Given that the EPD made most of AN's money  (a "bad year" on the EP was a
$mil surplus),  I would hazard a guess  that the EPD is pretty safe. This
year should be a ripper if the current conditions continue, and the locusts
don't eat it all.

Talk is ASR is to invest $$$ improving the area, including rerailing the
Thevenard-Kevin line with 110lb rail recovered from the BHP tramway to
Coffins Bay.

This does pose the question, will they use bigger power ex Thevenard to haul
bigger wagons to reduce train operating costs?

As for gauge conversion, I would suggest it would be highly unlikely. There
would be the need for major reconstruction/rerailing of the network to
accomodate the wider gauge.

Having said that, there is probably enough frieght into and out of Lincoln
to make such as venture worthhile

Nic